Back in July, I began this position with Campbell University. I knew that I would be running the new department of International Student Services. The first few weeks were spent behind my desk, and I was getting a little nervous about the job. I was wondering if I had made the right decision to change jobs. But then the day came...I started the airport shuttles. In a little less than two weeks, I drove a total of 18 shuttles to and from RDU. Now, that is a task considering the campus is one hour away from the airport. As I greeted each student, some new, some returning...they smiled back at me and showed their appreciation. Once I got them all on campus, the questions started again. I thought, "so now what?"
We had a welcome pizza party with over 100 students in attendance and it was wonderful. The following Wednesday, we made our first internationals trip to Wal-Mart. When we returned to campus (after 3 hours of shopping) I stopped at each dorm to drop students off with their purchases. When each person departed the vehicle several of the girls would say "bye" in their accents and giggle. After each time, one of the male students would look at me and say, "Yes we're international."
During the next Wal-Mart trip I had about 25 students show up to attend. As I was taking the first group, I listened to the students talk. One said to me, "Sara, why are this many people going to Wal-Mart? Last year we never had this many." I responded with a simple "I don't know the reason why." A few seconds later, one of the girls spoke up and said..."Sara, don't you get it? We all just want to spend our time with you." That made my heart melt. I have heard over and over again how much they like spending their time with me...a traditional, non-international person.
Today, I traveled with a group of ten Asians to a movie and the Asian Market. They introduced me to all kinds of foods, new words, decorations, and traditions. As I was watching them walk along the aisles and interact with the employees and other patrons it hit me. In this place, I'm the international. Here they fit in. As I embraced the fact that I was international, I took note of the things that I did that made me stand out; one being speaking English.
So... in this world that God has created, we are all different, yet created by One God. So I think,"Yes, we're international," and I get a big smile on my face and in my heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment