Let it be known, I like to dance. My sister can dance and has lots of rhythm and because of that she always told me I couldn't dance. I've always thought I had a few moves so I didn't really listen to what she had to say to me.
There are many different kinds of dance from dancing in the club to ballroom dancing, to polka dancing or line dancing. Now, I've done my share of dancing in the clubs, I've taken ballroom dancing lessons and even gone line dancing. Each dance has its on technique, its own style.
I've been reading a book for school and the writer talks about how the church should be in a dance with God. It's all about the movement between the two. As I began to think about this while driving from Virginia to North Carolina today, I started to equate dancing to my life.
There was a time in my life where I had one constant dance partner. We went everywhere together, made every move together, our feet moved in sync. This dance lasted for years until one day my foot was stepped on. After this, our moves were out of sync. We could never really get things back on track. And so our dance stopped.
After that long period of dance I thought it appropriate to take a break. I felt like one of those people at the clubs that is always standing on the sidelines and watching. Everyone else seems to be out there having a good time, even if they really can't dance. As I stood on the sidelines, I wanted to move, I wanted to dance but just never found the right partner.
There were periods where I danced a few dances with various people. While it was nice to be able to use my moves and move my feet, I really wasn't happy. I didn't feel like I had the best dance partner or that we made the best match.
After dancing with a few people, I decided that God was leading me to leave the dance floor all together. I left the club and stayed at home. While I was doing the things I needed to be doing with my life, I wasn't out on the floor. When I finally realized that it was all about giving things to God and letting him show me the right dance floor to be on, then I knew I was back on the right track.
I've been on a different dance floor since entering Divinity School. I've danced a few dances but there was no match. In the last few weeks, I think I've found a new dance partner. I'm excited about this dance called life and what it will bring. I ready to dance this dance (even if he is scared of having two left feet...or stepping on my toes). This song just started, so I am up for the dance.
2 comments:
Ok...so I was looking back and realized that I've commented on pretty much all of your posts...well, most of them. Anyway, since this one has been up for almost 24 hours, I'm surprised I'm the first to comment.
Well...anyway...I'm a musician...and a singer. I don't know much about dancing...other than the glaring fact that I'm no Fred Astaire. But on the other hand, who was Fred Astaire without Ginger Rogers sharing the screen?
Thank you for the words you share. your words have impacted me in a great way. You are a wise woman.
Dance the dance, Sara.
Post a Comment