When I first accepted my job at Campbell University working with international students I was told that I needed to find ways to get to know the students and really get on their level. As I began to meet students and hear their excitement about being back in school or for being in the United States for the first time, I kept hearing something of the same tune over and over again. These students missed their parents. Each of my students comes to Buies Creek leaving behind moms, dads, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and so on. While all students leave their families behind, international students have to leave them much further behind. As the students began to share about missing their parents I could only listen. I hadn't experienced the extreme sense of missing my family like the internationals.
Throughout the past year I have realized that I get it. I understand (to an extent) what it is like to be far away from family. While I only live 3 1/2 hours away from my family, I don't get to see them that often. It used to be that I traveled home about once a month. Now there are weeks on end between the time I see my parents and sister. The last time I went home to Virginia was in the middle of March. It's now the middle of May and I still haven't been home. However, tonight I got a special treat. My mom and dad happened to be driving through North Carolina so I got to meet them for dinner and share with them for Mother's Day and dads 53rd birthday. It was lots of fun seeing them and reconnecting.
I need to admit, I get it. I know what it's like to miss someone so much that you can't put it into words. I know what it is like to feel so far away. The talks on the phone are nice but that gets old. Sometimes you just need a hug from your mom. I guess that other than "getting it" (understanding what my students deal with) I am realizing how much I am growing up. I graduate with my master of divinity next year and after that who knows where I will end up.
Until the next time I get to see my family, I will treasure the few hours we spent together tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment