Monday, July 14, 2008

Reason to get your Burqa in a wad

This week as I was reading the news online, I found an article that shocked me. The article tells of a Muslim woman named Faiza who has been denied citizenship in France because she wears a burqa. A burqa is the dress of some Muslim women that covers them from head to toe, only leaving a small place for the eyes to look through. Faiza has lived in France with her husband, a French native, and their children since 2000. In 2005, Faiza applied for citizenship in France and was denied. She appealed and last month the French High Court upheld the decision and denied her citizenship. Their reason: her practice of "radical" Islam is not compatible with French values.

How does wearing a burqa make her radical? She's not out killing people. She just lives in her home, takes care of the children, and tries to be a good wife. The government in France doesn't think that she should be so submissive to her husband. The truth is, in Islam the women are supposed to be submissive to their father and husband. They are taught this through their religious beliefs. In their world, there is nothing wrong with wearing a hijab or burqa. It is about modesty.

After I read this article, I was interesting in finding out something about religious freedom in France. I did a little research and found that freedom of religion is guaranteed in France by constitutional rights set forth in 1789. There is to be separation of church and state. However, there is a law that states that students in public schools may not wear articles of religious symbolism. While this does include crosses and stars of David, etc. the people of France felt like it was against Muslim hijabs. I don't see how this law makes sense. How does that keep separation of church and state in tact?

The truth is, denying this woman citizenship over her wearing a burqa is absolutely ridiculous. It is her choice to wear that and no one else's. If the Muslims in France get their "burqa's in a wad" over this one... I think they have every right.

No comments: