Sunday, November 18, 2007

Weird to us...normal to them


Last week, I was walking through the halls of the Divinity School. I heard various conversations taking place on topics from studying to the weather. As I walked past one of the groups of classmates I heard them talking about weird occurrences. One of the girls said she had seen a headline that a man had wed a dog in India. Imagine that, a man marries a dog in India. I shook my head and kept on walking. The next day, I looked for a news article about this wedding, but could only find the picture on AOL news. I was intrigued by the picture and wanted to know more, but the story hadn't been written yet.

As I was laying here tonight for some reason I thought about the wedding between the man and dog. I googled the topic and found an article. I opened it up and there it was: Man in India Marries Dog As I read the story, I was amazed at why a man would marry a dog.

It turns out that this man married a female dog in a traditional Hindu wedding ceremony as an attempt to atone for stoning two other dogs to death- an act that he believes cursed him. As I continued to read the article I shook my head not understanding why any human would marry a dog. It turns out that in rural India deeply superstitious people sometimes organize weddings to dogs and other animals believing it can ward off certain curses.

I thought, what a backward practice marrying dogs. The article says that after the wedding the family had a feast and gave the dog a bun. Who in their right mind would really marry a dog is what my mind continued to think. To us, this seems quite weird. To them, its the norm. As I thought of this, I was reminded that I am thankful for the forgiveness of my sins through Jesus Christ.
(I'm also praying that no one I know will ever marry a dog... I might just have to laugh out loud.)

(photo credit: www.aol.com)

2 comments:

jr said...

I hear it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Terri Stratton said...

Ok, that's wierd.